Hero images have become quite popular in the world of web design. We are an image-driven culture and connect with our customers through the use of the visual. But the use of these large-scale images on websites has taken away from the necessary focus on the written content. Once you’ve gotten their attention with images, visitors will probably continue to read, but sometimes your visitors are just looking for information, and some bells and whistles become more of a distraction than an appeal.
The appeal of content “above the fold” in the newspaper industry is that readers would likely see whatever is placed in that area of the paper first, before they visit any other page in the paper, or even before they look at what is “below the fold.” The same concept applies to web design. If on every page of your website, the content that is seen “above the fold” is stock photography or content that simply does not meet the visitor’s need for information gathering, something needs to change.
While imagery definitely speaks to the masses, the masses also want to easily find the information they were seeking when they came to your website in the first place. They don’t want to scroll into infinity looking for your menu or click out of all kinds of pop-ups just to see what time you open. When you plan the appearance of your website, keep in mind that ultimately you’re trying to make a sale or find agreement over a cause. Whatever your business or organization’s mission, don/t let the great visual design elements of web design hinder your visitor’s pursuit for the information they are seeking.
About the Author
- Sarah Flashing is a digital creative, content creator and public speaker. Her life goal is to help people succeed in business and life by employing the tools that open doors to success from strong marketing strategies and digital resources to best ethical practices. Contact Sarah to find out how she can coach you through a workable business plan or marketing strategy. Learn more about having Sarah speak at your next corporate event.
- Business Ethics2019.06.19Your Visibility Impacts Your Brand: 6 Tips for Managing Your Reputation
- Business Basics2019.03.01Challenges and Advice for Entrepreneurs
- Business Basics2019.02.27Business Basics: 5 Ethical Practices to Implement into Your Business
- Business Strategy2019.02.18Courageous Leadership: Your Business Depends On It